Hello! I am finally at internet that doesn't cost more then my bed and food. I have now left Tonsai! I was there for a full month, and what a nice month. When I first got to tonsai it felt like I walked into a giant private party, and when I left it felt like home. So much climbing in the past month. I did some deep water soloing too! (Climbing on cliffs over the sea with no ropes, where the protection you have is the water below you) Terrifying! But reallly good. And I finally did Humanality! Ahh! It was the coolest climb I did. It was 4 pitches. How multi pitch works, for those who don't know, is you go in teams of 2. In this case we needed 2 ropes to repel (one was not long enough) so we had 2 teams of 2. How it works is one person starts leading (clipping the rope as they climb) and when they get to the top of the pitch, build and ancor, secure themselves, and belay the second person up on top rope. When the second person is climbing they take all the draws the first used, and thus they already have all the gear, and so continue on and lead the next pitch, belay the other up, and so on. It's really fun. I have a new love for multi pitch climbs. So Humanality has 4 pitches, you climb a little under 400 feet. The hardest part of the whole climb is on the 3rd pitch. I was the first of team 1, so I lead the first pitch, and the 3rd. The crux, and the coolest move, it's you're 3 pitches up so you're considerably high off the ground. And the holds start to get smaller until there are no holds left. Stumped, you look around and notice there's a stalagtite behind you. So you have to lean out from the wall, 300 feet up, and grab the stalagite, put one foot on it, two hands, and climb out.You climb up the stalagtite, transfer to another, and then transfer back to the wall. It's so cool! The bolts are placed well enough, so if you fall it's not to bad. Once we got to the top, we waited for the second team, tied our ropes together, and repelled down in two raps. It was amazing. The most fun climbing I've done. There's a lot of climbing I could talk about, but I feel like it would bore people who don't climb. Tonsai was a really special place to be. Only one road, a few huts. A really beautiful beach, sleeping in the jungle filled with sounds, and climbing on cliffs full of monkeys. Hahaha monkeys! Oh man! At the place I stayed at, the wall of the bungalows have a large space between them and the roof, and so monkeys snuck into one guys bungalow, opened his bag, threw everything out, found the toothpaste, and went CRAZY with the toothpaste and sprayed it all over hahahah. They have also peed on climbers, and stolen shoes and food and camera cases with the memory cards still in them (Nitsan :) ) We had to have one person beating them off of the belayer so he could belay. They are crazy monkeys, but I love them. I left Tonsai 2 days ago, and didn't make it out of the county on time for my visa's expiery date. I was one day late. Pfft. Anyway, after being screwed over by weird fake borders. (Who knew there were fake border ponits! Waa!) I'm now in CAMBODIA! It's sort of like a dollar store. It's crazy, they use US$ and Real, and so much stuff is $1. Like my room! I found a bed for $1 crazy!! And you can rent a bike for a day for $1, or do laundry for $1. Or my meals have all been $1. Everything seems to be only $1. Anyway, now I'm here. Back to traveling on my own, for now, and ready for a month or so in cambodia! (You'll be hearing more of me now that I'm back to moving around again.) Bye!
[Photos]
The good thing is, there will be photos! The sad thing is, a) I have a few already, but good computers are hard to come by, and this one can't upload photos b) There's more photos that I have to wait to get from others. So in good time you'll see how beautiful rock climbing in Tonsai is.
[Edit Update 1/29/12] A few Photos! There will be more.
 |
| Deep Water Soloing |
 |
| Hooping |
Oh so picture perfect just like you... : )
ReplyDelete